Many people are suffering from tooth discoloration due to several factors which affect their oral health and quality of life. At Oak Park Dental Associates, our clients are given the best remedies for tooth discoloration with hassle-free and safe teeth whitening procedures. We will help you regain back your natural-looking, great smile with whiter and healthier teeth.
Teeth whitening is one of the most in-demand and frequently sought after dental treatments to enhance stained and discolored teeth. Patients who had undergone teeth whitening procedure tend to become more careful with their oral health and improves their dental hygiene and care which results in a more healthy lifestyle and overall dental health.
Cause of Tooth Discoloration
- Drinks with Caffeine: Caffeine is known to be present on coffees, teas and other beverages. These beverages create stubborn stains and darken the color of the teeth.
- Smoking Cigarettes and Using Tobacco: Cigarettes and tobacco contain nicotine and tar. Nicotine is colorless itself, but when combined with oxygen, it turns to yellow. These substances are absorbed by the pores of the teeth which causes yellowish or brown discoloration.
- Aging: When people age, the tooth enamel becomes thinner which results for the dentin to be exposed and become visible. The dentin is a pale brown substance underneath the enamel layer of the tooth.
- Improper Diet: Poor diet and bad nutritional habits affect the color of the teeth. Eating processed and acidic foods and drinks on a regular basis are not good both for the patient’s medical health and oral health. Avoidance of processed foods and other acidic foods and beverages is highly recommended.
- Dry Mouth: Saliva plays a vital role in maintaining the oral health. It removes bacteria and breaks down food particles left between the teeth and the mouth. Lack of saliva results to dry mouth which means there will be less protection for the tooth enamel from bacteria and agents of stain.
- Antibiotic Use: Antibiotics such as tetracycline and doxycycline are known to cause stain and discolor the teeth, especially in children.
- Genetics: The color of the teeth may be determined through genetic factors. Some people have naturally brighter, whiter, or thicker enamel than others.
Home Remedies for a Brilliant White Smile
Regular Brushing and Fossing
Brushing the teeth twice a day and daily flossing is recommended to maintain white and healthy teeth. Dental cleaning is not enough; patients must also do their part in keeping their oral health through continuous and regular oral hygiene care.
Baking Soda and Hydrogen Peroxide
Hydrogen peroxide does excellent work in mouth and gum cleaning. These substances help the mouth, teeth, and gums free from germs that might cause tooth discoloration and other oral issues. A mixture of Hydrogen Peroxide and baking soda will result to a paste-like mouth rinse that helps remove plaque and cavity-causing germs in the teeth.
Coconut Oil Pulling
Coconut oil serves as a natural teeth whitener. The practice started out as a traditional Indian folk remedy but was later on proven to help in improving oral hygiene, whitening the teeth, and removing toxins in the body. Coconut oil pulling works by merely swishing the oil around the mouth to remove bacteria.
Use Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV)
It is known to naturally work as antibiotic and teeth cleaning product which helps remove the stains caused by caffeine and nicotine. Using Apple Cider Vinegar is like bleaching the teeth; the process turns the teeth as natural as it was before, just like having a professional cleaning.
Fruits and Vegetables
Lemon or Orange Peels have beneficial acids which can help to whiten the teeth.
Strawberries contain malic acid that helps remove discoloration in the teeth.
Bromelain, an enzyme found in pineapples can effectively remove tooth stains.
Home remedies can significantly help keep the teeth white and healthy, but do not forget that a dental visit is much advisable. A dental professional can do personal cleaning and teeth whitening procedures to help keep the natural shade of the teeth. Dental treatments must go with proper home care, oral hygiene practices, proper diet, and nutrition to provide an excellent result.
Give your smile a boost! Book an appointment with Oak Park Dental Associates and check out our services under Teeth Whitening in Oak Park, IL. Let us help you improve the appearance, form, and color of your teeth!