Seven Most Popular Dentistry Treatments, Oak Park
Some of the most popular dentistry treatments and dentistry services are the following:
- Teeth whitening – this is a procedure which can be done at home as well as in the dental clinic. For at home treatments, one needs a set of dental trays which are worn over the gums and teeth by the patient. These are smeared with a whitening lotion or gel, and these are worn for a given duration of time during the day for a given number of days. The teeth start to whiten slowly but surely. In the dental clinic, the teeth are first prepped up. They are smeared with whitening gel which is activated via a laser light which is passed over them for a given duration of time at a given intensity.
- Dental implants – this involves teeth extraction and then implants placed into the jawbone. A titanium screw is drilled into the jawbone which grows around it naturally. It takes about three to four months for the screw to become firm inside the jawbone. A dental cap or crown is placed atop the screw to function at the tooth which the world sees.
- Dentures – these are referred to as false teeth. These need to be removed each night and placed in a jar containing a cleansing solution. This solution is also used for brushing the dentures. The dentures need to be replaced after every five to seven years since they may become loose or ill-fitting. Also, they need to be kept very clean, or else tartar may build upon them. However, a bit of danger is involved in using them. They may accidentally fall off if the person wearing them laughs too loudly.
- Popular dentistry services also include procedures like braces and retainers. This comes in the purview of orthodontics treatment. Sometimes teeth are irregularly placed in the mouth. They need to be straightened out, and this is done with the use of braces and retainers. Many people have the misnomer that this treatment can only be done during childhood or adolescent years. However, it can be done even during adulthood as well.
- Placement of crowns and bridges – this is done when the teeth are yellowed, stained, broken, chipped et al. Bridges are usually used when there is a gap between teeth. Crowns are used to cover up existing teeth or even to give strength and support to the existing tooth.
- Root canal treatment or endodontic therapy – this is done when the tooth or teeth are to be restored and not removed or extracted. The outermost layer of the tooth is the enamel. The one inner to this is the dentine, and inner to this even is the pulp cavity. This comprises cellular matter, blood vessels, and nerves. During root canal treatment, this matter is removed, and the cavity is refilled with a material like a gutta percha.
- Oral cancer and gingivitis screening – this has become very common these days due to the increasing incidence of such ailments.
For more details contact: Oak Park Dental Associates. 6711 W North Avenue, Oak Park IL 60302. Call: (708) 498-4165.